- To have, hold on just a little longer: Millennials lower divorce rate -OnFaith
There are many family counselors and books on relationships, but do those resources offer the best advice for building and maintaining a strong family? Many people do not realize that the Bible is God’s resource to us and has much to say about relationships.
According to the most authoritative word on the matter, the Bible, the keys to a prosperous family are:
1. Fear (holy reverence) of the Lord.
2. Providing for your family by working.
Blessed is every one who fears the Lord, who walks in His ways. When you eat the labor of your hands, you shall be happy, and it shall be well with you. Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine in the very heart of your house, your children like olive plants all around your table. Behold, thus shall the man be blessed who fears the Lord.
Psalm 128:1-4, NKJV
3. A prudent wife—one who is cautious and careful, wise, and gives attention to her family.
Houses and riches are an inheritance from fathers, but a prudent wife is from the Lord.
Proverbs 19:14, NKJV
4. A virtuous wife—one who has strength (in character, emotions, and mental) and who works with efficiency in all things, so as not to waste resources, like time and money. She is also kind, speaks only words of wisdom (not complaints), and is good (pleasant and agreeable).
Who can find a virtuous wife? For her worth is far above rubies. The heart of her husband safely trusts her; so he will have no lack of gain. She does him good and not evil … And willingly works with her hands. She also rises while it is yet night, And provides food for her household … She opens her mouth with wisdom, And on her tongue is the law of kindness. She watches over the ways of her household, And does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:
Proverbs 31:10-13, 15, 26–28, NKJV
5. Husband and wife who are affectionate to one another.
Let the husband render to his wife the affection due her, and likewise also the wife to her husband.
I Corinthians 7:3, NKJV
6. Wives who submit to their husbands—allowing the husband to lead the family by setting a godly example through his demeanor, words, and actions.
Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything.
Ephesians 5:22-24, NKJV
7. Husbands who love their wives as themselves, and wives who respect their husbands.
So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself . . . and let the wife see that she respects her husband.
Ephesians 5:28, 33
8. Husbands who honor their wives by reacting to their needs with understanding and gentleness.
Husbands, likewise, dwell with them with understanding, giving honor to the wife, as to the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life, that your prayers may not be hindered.
I Peter 3:7
9. Children who obey their parents, and parents who teach them according to the Word of God.
Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honor your father and mother,” which is the first commandment with promise: “that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth. And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord.
10. Fathers who console, comfort, encourage, and strengthen their children.
As you know how we exhorted, and comforted, and charge every one of you, as a father does his own children,
I Thessalonians 2:11
Say this faith declaration out loud: Father, just as my family is important to me, I know that they are important to You. Please bless and strengthen my family, that we may be a strong, cohesive unit—one that follows Your ways, and prospers in everything we do.
Join our Legacy Global Prayer Community today, and help us to build God an army of prayer warriors. Please click here.
After joining our Legacy Global Prayer Community and receiving your free download of my e–book, Lord, Teach Us To Pray, I know your spirit will yearn for more! Feed your spirit with more of my featured titles in our online store! I encourage you to download Seven Steps to Personal Victory. Have you ever prayed and asked God for healing, financial help, or resolution to family problems? In this eBook, you will experience God’s answer to every prayer you have prayed! Get it here today!